User Profile Stuck on Starting.


Warning: preg_match(): Compilation failed: unrecognized character after (?< at offset 10 in /web1/user50603/website/wp-includes/class-wp-block-parser.php on line 418

When installing UPS. Never log in as the Farm account.. Just ensure the farm account is the local admin on the SharePoint server.

If the ups sync service is stuck on starting, run the following Powershell command (PoSh)

 Get-spserviceinstance | select TypeName, ID

This will return the ID of the service that is stuck,

Then run the following PoSh command once you have the ID

Stop-SPServiceInstance -id “id of service” .

There are occasions when the service still won’t stop even after running the Stop-SPServiceInstance PoSh command (This can occur when you start the UPS whilst logged in as the farm account).

One way of stopping the service (if the Stop-SPServiceInstance doesn’t stop it) is to use the following stsadm commands. (You can also run the commands below in Powershell – no need to load any type of SnapIn.) – but for my example, I used STSADM.

stsadm -o enumservices > c:\services.txt – This produces a .txt file which gives a list of services and shows the name of the service you need (as below)

ups

Services

Then run stsadm -o provisionservice -action stop -servicetype “Microsoft.Office.Server.Administration.ProfileSynchronizationService, Microsoft.Office.Server.UserProfiles, Version=14.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=71e9bce111e9429c” -servicename FIMSynchronizationService

The service type (in italics) is the from the service.txt (with the red border) 🙂

Upgrading a Multi-Server SharePoint Farm


Warning: preg_match(): Compilation failed: unrecognized character after (?< at offset 10 in /web1/user50603/website/wp-includes/class-wp-block-parser.php on line 418

 UPGRADING MULTI SERVER FARM

I was having a nightmare upgrading a multi-server sp13 farm from Standard to Enterprise . Having inserted the Enterprise Key in the usual place in Central Administration,  – it kept throwing errors every time… (below)

ConversionError

I spent lots of time troubleshooting this, such as,  checking the error Logs, clearing the cache, to name a few.
In the end One line of PowerShell fixed it…

Set-SPFarmConfig -InstalledProductsRefresh

So if any of you try to upgrade a multi server farm from the usual way of inserting the product key & doesn’t work, below are the  steps I followed,

  1. Insert the product key in the convert license type or Enable Enterprise Features. (let it error)
  2. Run the above Powershell Command.
  3. SharePoint should upgrade to Enterprise
  4. Remember to enable Enterprise features on all existing web applications and site collections.